Saturday, June 14, 2008

Table for Knitting Machine

Various angles of the table made for knitting machine.  In the background of this one you can see a part of the garden, and the flat area being fixed up for the 24' round swimming pool that is to go up soon.

In the background of this one you can see in the upper corner the table that my hubby is fixing up.  That one is all metal.  He needs to finish painting it and then putting the top on.  He is going to use a huge block of granite as a top.  It is really pretty and the same kind of stuff they use for counter tops.

You can see a portion of the garden plot where the bell peppers are planted and the planting bag.  That one, the bag, is for the cantaloupes.

Here you can also see the table/bench set we use for the kids, mostly the kids.  This is a two section piece that can fold over to be a bench for setting, or you put two together to make a picnic bench.  The kids love it as they can all sit together, well at least for now.

This is the top of the knitting table with one coat of clear varnish.  I had been thinking about doing a reddish color, but decided to just use a clear since it has a beautiful pattern to it already and I didn't want to spoil that.  The wood is something the hubby picked up for free from a place that does cabinets.  They throw tons of this stuff away and said take as much as you want.  It is less they have to pay to have hauled away.  This picture really doesn't do justice to the beauty of this piece.

The legs are premade ones.  We picked these up at Harbor Freights in Medford.  They were $19.95 for the set.    When I was in the Medford area I picked up three sets of these legs.  

The set is as follow:
3-piece welded steel
1" tubular steel legs
Gloss black finish
28 1/2" tall
24" wide
The legs have rubber stopper covers on them.  So this stand will be ok to use on our lamante floor.

The choice of table top is up to you.  This top is narrow compared to the 24" wide legs but that is ok.  It is the size I wanted it to be.  The actual wood top is 48" long by 15" wide, and is a 3/4" board in depth.  It is perfect.  When we went to the pile of wood this one popped right out at us.

I was going to do this all myself but as usual the hubby had to jump in.  He measure the ends where the legs were to go and predrilled holes.  Then installed the legs.  After that it was all up to me.  The board was in pretty good shape already so I just needed to so some light sanding and use a 320 super fine wood sandpaper to lightly go over the entire top and sides to remove any possible burs that might grab my yarns.

After sanding I used a very lightly damp cloth to remove any excess dust and let it dry thoroughly for a couple of hours.  I was not taking any chances with this.  I know it was dry enough after after about 15 minutes as there was no actual wetting of the board, and it is a very warm day outside.

Then I applied one coat of a clear stain.  I let that set for 15 minutes and wiped off the excess.  Oh stain was applied to top, sides, and slightly underneath.  Now I am waiting the time to apply a second coat of stain, maybe.  We shall see how the first looks.  If it seems to be fine then I will apply a coat of some type of wood sealer.  I cannot tell you what yet as I don't have it.  I have to take a trip to the store to see what would work the best with the stain I have and what I need it to do.

I am thinking that while I have stain and all out, I should complete the job on the stand for my innovations.  It is looking pretty sad (see a previous post) and could use a little face job on it.

UPDATE:  Oh darn I knew I was going to forget something.  These legs for the table are folding.  So when the table is not in use, I can just fold it up and store it.  Neat.


Post a Comment

<< Home