Saturday, June 17, 2006

Single Rake Bind off

Last night feeling tired but not sleepy I went to lay down with the TV on, but it was boring. So I grabbed out the book I bought, Mary Thomas's Knitting Book, and went to take a better read over the parts on loom knitting. Boy did I get a supprise. There is some great information, even if you have to dig a bit to get it. By dig, I mean my brain has to sit up and really take notice, not just skim over it.

For instance, even though I now know this, the book explains how to do a cord on two pegs of a loom. Neat for when you want to make something like a strap, tie back or something of that nature. If you use something besides yarn then you can get a much stronger strap.

There is a small section in the book that talks about increasing and decreasing on looms, even about how you can transfer stitches from a single rake round to a double rake to continue decreases for like the top of a hat, but for myself, I did learn this is not quite as easy as the section in the book makes it sound. It also talks about how if you are using the e-wrap stitch, you can change to the "flat", or knit stitch at the top and thus decrease the area as the knit stitch creates a much tighter weave that decreases the size of the piece.

Mary doesn't call the stitches by the names we currently use so I had to figure out just which stitch she is talking about by reading how the stitch is done. Where we call it wrapping she calls it winding the pegs. Where we have learned the "flat" or knit stitch she calls this the Plain or Closed Stitch which makes a fabric simular to an ordinary Stocking Stitch. The winding (wrapping) that we know as the e-wrap she calls the Raised Crossed Stitch which makes a fabric simular to the Crossed Stocking Stitch.

On a double rake we know a stitch called the figure eight. Mary talks about this stitch calling it the Rib In Close Stitch. I had already figured out that the figure eight is an e-wrapped stitch that forms a knit on the one side while doing a purl on the other side. You just cannot tell it that much because the stitches lay so close to each other, but try doing the figure eight skipping every other set of pegs. You will get an entirely different look to your pieces.

So if you wrap the doing the Rib In Close Stitch but do it e-wrapped or figure eight style you have a Rib In Close Raised Crossed stitch. You can do the Rib In Close Stitch by using the single stitch and have a plain stocking stitch. She shows both of these. She even has one she calls Ribbing (2 & 2) which I illustrated earlier with the pictures called K2P2 no e-wrap. On this one you are wrapping around two pegs at a time top and two pegs bottom.

Mary continues to discuss a little about color changes for vertical and horizantal stripes and then has a little section on open patterns. She says these types of stitches are good for doing something like curtains and resemble dropped stitch patterns. This section my eyes began to blur on so I have left it for another reading.

Now on to what has become at this point the best thing I learned from this reading. A new to me cast off. Oh a nice new to me cast off. This one I oosted a little about earlier today on a group and rather then try to write it all out again, I just am pasting it here:

"I just tried a new to me method of removal from a single rake, be itround, straight or oval and I like it.I say new to me because I haven't tried this before but it is not new. It came out of the Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting first published in the 1930's. She taught it this way.

At your first peg, she says peg A, where the yarn coming from the ball/skein is, wrap peg B and knit it off.Now take the stitch on peg B and move it to peg A. Knit off the bottom stitch and move the loop back to peg B. Now wrap and knit off peg C. Move C's loop to peg B and knit off. Continue in this manner till the last peg is knitted off and you have only one loop left. Remove the last loop cut and finish off.

Now I have tried this twice. The first time I snugged the stitches down as I went. Oh what a tight edge. Nice and firm and very good looking, but since I wanted something a little looser, I did it again.

The second time I didn't snug each stitch down so tight, instead leaving it a little loose on the peg. Oh it is beautiful and no crochet hook to mess with, easy and quick. I like how it looks along with the crochet method of cast on or the long tail caston (I think the long tail is easier). I have found my method of removal for the single rake. Up to this point I have not been extremely happy with any of them. The only thing I would suggest on this one is to make sure the stitches for the last row before removal are not loose, well the end ones. I didn't and I have one end stitch that is way too loose, my fault.

Oh I should have gotten into this book a bit sooner. I wouldn't have been struggling with this for so long."

Along with the loom knitting sections, Mary discusses a little loom called a Loop Knitting Loom that one is very neat. Then she has some on a peg knitting loom which when I read it I realized that this is a loom to create what I just learned as finger knitting. Way cool the neat things I have learned lately. This one is like the little stick knitting loom that provo is coming out with.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bind-Off method described in Mary Thomas knitting book is very, very similar to the bind off method in regular knitting needles. It is my most used common bind off method. It adds an extra row to the knitted item, so that is one thing to remember when knitting from a pattern or when counting the rows.
Also, if you want to knit a loser bind off, knit an extra loop on the peg---this method replaces the bind off method with the crochet hook where you crochet a chain between each stitch. Although the section is small, Mary Thomas included valuable information on looming.

10:52 PM  
Blogger Amoonsinger said...

Hi Isela,

The bind off where a chain is added between the stitch bind off is the very one that I have been trying to avoid. I do not like the open gap that it creates. By doing the Mary Thomas bind off with a looser stitch the gap isn't there. That is part of the portion that I like about this bind off. The other is that it has the best looking chain edging of any that I have seen.

I did notice that when making this bind off that an extra row is added to the piece. So that would be something to consider when using this bind off. I haven't finished playing with this one, as Mary goes on to say that you can bind off in pattern and that this bind off can be used for the double rake also.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cast on in pattern with this bind off method. If for example, let's say we are have a K2, P2, pattern going, I Knit the first 2, move the stitch from the 2nd peg over to the 1st, KO (1st stitch bound off). Move stitch to peg 2. Purl peg 3, move the stitch on peg 3 over to peg 2. KO. (2nd stitch bound off)...continue down the loom in this manner. That is the way I bind off in pattern, there may be another method, but this is the way I found more comfortable and more needle knit like.

Have you come accross any other worth while books with looming information? I treasure my Mary Thomas knitting book, I wish I had a couple more that talked about the craft.

9:07 PM  
Blogger Amoonsinger said...

I did read that you could bind off in pattern, so that does make it more like the needle knitted bind off. I do like that part.

I haven't tried it yet, but according to what Mary says this bind off can also be used for the double rake. I just don't have a project ready to come off of one now and no time to do a practice piece.

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I bid on the wrong book on eBay, I just wanted to ask if this book is the same as "Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns"? I know, just one word between what you called it in this post and what I found on eBay, but better safe than sorry. :-) Thanks much.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Amoonsinger said...

Hi Paula,

The book is called "Mary Thomas's Knitting Book" by Mary Thomas with 248 illustrations.

There is a book called "Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns" but that is not the one with the rake/frame knitting chapter in it. I do have that book also and it is quite nice for the different stitches in it. Be aware that both books are in black and white, even the illustrations.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks very much for the information.

2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I work for www.shopyarn.com. Part of my job is to search blogs to find the latest books and shops throughout the U.S.

On shopyarn.com we are going to add patterns and other knitting related books and would like reviews about them. I saw your blog and would like to ask permission to feature the following quote on our site.

"So I grabbed out the book I bought, Mary Thomas's Knitting Book, and went to take a better read over the parts on loom knitting. Boy did I get a supprise. There is some great information, even if you have to dig a bit to get it. By dig, I mean my brain has to sit up and really take notice, not just skim over it."


Thank You,
Margaret
Shopyarn.com
Margaret@directionpress.com

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home