Thursday, June 26, 2008

A bit put out

I saw this book on ebay for making gloves.  It is Easy Gloves for All Knitting Machines, by Leslye Solomon.  Well, I bid and I won it.  I was excited as this would be great for me a newbie.

So I get the book and I open it to the first pattern, The Plain Glove, and I start to read.  Bummer, I am not happy at all.  What do you mean easy, the pattern states "cast on using the broken toe method for ribbing" and that "this can be found in the book, "The Uncomplicated Knitting Machine".

Well, now how can they be easy gloves if the darn book has to send you to another book just to start the darn things.  Do you not think that if you are going to make a book you should include in that book the techniques to make the things in the book.  This is dumb, no it is out right criminal.  It is like I just got taken.  Now I have to buy another book to do this pattern in the first book and I cannot help but wonder if after buying the second book (if I so choose, not thinking I will right now), if I will be referred to a third book to get parts for the second book to complete the pattern in the first book.  Maybe there is a fourth book for the third for the second for the first.  

Oh my that was quite a brain twister but then so is this pattern right now.  I threw the book down in disgust.  It was all I could do to keep from ripping it from cover to cover.  There are other patterns and maybe one of those might, yes I said might, be of use to me.  For now I am so disgusted that I don't even want to look at this.

You know I never watch the season endings of programs as they mostly leave you hanging for weeks to months for them to come back on to catch the continued second half.  So why in the world would I want to buy a book that is continued in another book or started from another with no lead to completion in the one you have.  Criminal I say, just criminal.  I feel like I have been robbed.  NOTE:  I have to add here that it is not the ebay seller I feel cheated by, but the designer of this pattern.

So folks unless you can find the technique online, I would not advise buying the book.  Of course you might already have the other book/s and be just fine.  I myself have to think on this one.  I do not throw good money after the bad.

3 Comments:

Blogger steel breeze said...

Response on Ravelry

12:38 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

I think Aaron did this cast on method in one of his You Tube videos though I could be wrong. He is HugKing on You Tube.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Amoonsinger said...

Thanks to the both of you. Written word and a video also. That youtube video is the site I found where Aaron was starting his sweater. It showed quite well what he was doing.

Thanks again.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home