Monday, September 15, 2008

Purple Loom

On my shopping trip on Saturday, I bought the newest purple round loom from Provo Crafts. This is a smaller gauged loom and it says right on the package that it is good for medium yarn. So I started a project last night just to check this.

I am using Red Heart supersaver yarn, and it is a worsted weight yarn. The statement that this will use medium weight yarn I believe is completely wrong. Oh it doesn't create as big of those gaps as the larger gauged looms do but it is still quite loose and not very satisfying.

The hat will definately have lots of gaps throughout the entire body of the hat. That will make the hat good for maybe fall, or spring but not so good for winter. I would use a bulky yarn or still use a double strand of worsted to make a firmer hat. Or you could use a 1/2 or 2/2 or something like that to make a firmer hat. I am using a simple 1/1 for this one as a test.

The doubled hats that are made on the larger gauged looms with two strands of worsted are rather thick. So if you used this loom and did one strand to double the hat, I believe you will get a fairly nice doubled hat.

So not yet Provo. This is an improvement but still not a medium weight yarn loom. The gauge is better but still leaves a lot of stand space with only one strand of that worsted.

At best a medium plus a light weight yarn could be good. Along the way, as time permits, I will try these other weights to see what I get.

The feel of the pegs is very different on this loom. They are much smoother and the wraps move better as you push down, or lift them to knit. I really do like the feel of the pegs better then the pegs of my older sets. At least that is a great improvement over the pegs of the other looms. This makes working the stitches so much easier then the old looms.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see another review on this since I have not seen much info posted on this new loom. I recently posted a review on my blog as well. http://loomybin.wordpress.com/2008/08/27/knifty-knitter-adult-hat-loom-review/ I'm also finding 2 strands of WW is best and have posted a couple of hats doing it this way.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Amoonsinger said...

I have heard many talking about this loom and making it sound like something new and great. It has nice smooth pegs, but I have better looms when it comes to gauge. Sure I paid for them, really paid, but they give me what I want.

Still it is a nice loom but not all the great others make it sound.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home